Saturday, February 2, 2013

One Foot in Front of the Other

Just got back from putting in 5 miles today after a 4 day break from exercise. Used the cold weather and busy schedule as excuses this week. Today's trip consisted of 4.1 miles jogged straight through, then 0.2 walked, and another 0.5 jogged before finishing it out with walking. I've never jogged that many miles straight through in my life before.... EVER. It feels great to know I can do that all on my own. 
The more I think about this half-marathon, the more I'm proud I've committed to it. Haven't officially signed up for it yet (will be doing that Feb. 16 at a store in Columbia), but I've got it in my mind and on my calendar to do, so therefore I will! Had I not signed up for it, I would only be pushing myself to run 3.1 miles or slightly more because I would only otherwise be doing 5Ks. Don't get me wrong. Running a 5K is a great accomplishment for anyone! But I wouldn't know that I'm capable of much more if I wouldn't try to push myself into much more. This is shaping up to be My Best Year Yet! 
I have also decided that this half-marathon is definitely mind over matter. All it takes is putting one foot in front of the other (again and again and again and again and so on), but that's all you have to do. It's really that easy. You can't focus on how far you have to go, but instead of how far you have come. That's exactly what I'll be doing as I train and run the half. 16 weeks from today is race day!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment